North Hykeham, Lincolnshire, UK 

NORTH HYKEHAM is a village and parish, on the west bank of the river Witham, and is intersected by the Roman Foss way.  There is a railway station on the Nottingham and Lincoln branch of the Midland line, 1 mile north west from the village, which is 4 miles south-west of Lincoln and 156 from London, in the North Kesteven division of the county, parts of Kesteven, lower division of Graffoe wapentake, Lincoln (South) petty sessional division, Lincoln union and county court district, rural deanery of Graffoe and archdeaconry and diocese of Lincoln.  The ancienty chapel belonging to this parish becoming dilapidated, was disused early in the 18th century, but the burial ground has served for internments up to a recent date.  The church of All Saints, a building in the Decorated style, was rebuilt in 1858, from the plans of Mr. M. Drury, architect, of Lincoln, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle and a small western tower containing one bell, and has sittings for about 200 persons.  The ancient register is included in that of South Hykeham, which dates from 1695.  The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value from 150 acres of glebe £165, and residence built in 1859, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln and held since 1868 by the Rev. Frederick Teeling Cusins M.A. of Sideny Sussex College, Cambridge, diocesan inspector of schools for the archdeaconry of Nottingham.  The lay impropriators of the rectory are the trustees of R. Milnes esq.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel.  Hykeham Hall is the residence of Fredk. Straw esq.  Christ College, Cambridge is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are the trustees of R. Milnes esq., Christ College, Cambridge, and Frederick Straw esq.  The soil is gravelly; subsoil, sand.  The chief crops are wheat and barley.  The area is 1,900 acres; rateable value £2,546; the population in 1891 was 499.

Kelly's Lincolnshire Directory 1892

There is a railway station on the Nottingham and Lincoln branch of the London, Midland and Scottish line .. in the Grantham division of the county, parts of Kesteven ... The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of South Hykeham annexed, joint net yearly value £667, and residence, built in 1859, in the alternate gift of the Bishop of Lincoln and the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1936 by the Rev. Herbert Cawley B.A. of St John's College, Manitoba. ... Here is a Methodist chapel with sittings for 150 persons and another with 120 sittings. ... The Master and Fellows of Christ's College Cambridge, who are the lords of the manor, and Messrs C. R. and T. W. Bell are the chief landowners. ... The area is 1,674 acres of land and inland water; population in 1931 was 1,1864.

Additional or altered information from Kelly's Lincolnshire Directory 1937

back

 more history

Home

Maps

Civil Records

Parish Registers