North Hykeham, Lincolnshire, UK 

NORTH HYCKHAM, or Hykeham, is a village and churchless parish, on the west side of the Witham, 3 miles S. by W. of Lincoln.  It contains 443 souls, and 1843A 1R 22p of land.  The manorial rights and about 280 acres, belong to Christ College, Cambridge; and the remainder is mostly copyhold, belonging to the the Milnes, Coult, Parker, Johnson, Drury and other families.  Hykeham Station is on the rails, about a mile N.W. of the village in Skellingthorpe parish.  The Church (All Saints) was dilapidated many years ago, but the burial ground is sometimes used, and the incumbent comes once after his induction, "to read himself in".  The erection of a new church is in contemplation.  The Bishop of London is appropriator of the rectory, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which is now valued at £298, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Penrose, M.A., of Langton-by-Wragby.  At the enclosure, 40 years ago, the tithes were commuted for allotments of land.  The Wesleyans have a neat chapel here, built in 1838.  The poor parishoners have 13s 10d. yearly, left by the Rev. --- Russell, in 1609, and the interest of £5, left by the Rev. --- Perney

History, Gazateer, and Directory of Lincolnshire by William White, 1856

HYCKHAM (NORTH)  or Hykeham is a village and parish on the west side of the Witham, 4 miles S. by W. of Lincoln, containing 468 inhabitants, and 1990 acres of fertile land. Hykeham Railway Station, about, a mile N.W. of the village, is in Skellingthorpe parish, and on the Midland line between Lincoln and Nottingham. The manorial rights, and about 280 acres, belong to Christ College, Cambridge ; and the remainder is mostly copyhold, belonging to the Milnes, Coult, Pratt, Straw, Stokes, Johnson and other families. The Church (All Saints), having become dilapidated, was disused early in the last century, and remained so until 1858, when a neat new Church, consisting of nave, south aisle, chancel and tower, was erected on a new site, at a cost of £1200. The benefice is a vicarage, valued at £250 per annum, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Teeling Cusins, who has a neat vicarage house, erected in 1859, at an expense of £1000. At the enclosure, about 1816, the tithes were commuted for allotments of land. The Wesleyans have a neat chapel here, built in 1838.  The poor parishioners have 13s. 10d. yearly, left by the Rev. Thomas Russell, in 1609, and the interest of £5, left by the Rev. Mr. Perney. The National School, which is under Government inspection, was
built in 1862, by the late rector, the Rev. John Penrose, and is attended by about 50 children.
Wall Letter Box, cleared at 4.20 p.m. Letters via Lincoln, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

History, Gazateer, and Directory of Lincolnshire by William White, 1872

by permission of Rod Neep    ARCHIVE CD BOOKS     http://www.archivecdbooks.com 

 more history

Home

Maps

Civil Records

Parish Registers