HADDINGTON, a small village and township on the north bank of the Witham, 7 miles S.W. of Lincoln, contains 91 souls, and 910 acres of land, in the parishes of Aubourn and South Hyckham, to
which latter 60 acres of land were allotted at the enclosure in lieu of tithes, but a yearly modus is paid
for the Auborn tithes. It includes the two farms called Howsham, l and1/3 mile W. of the village, near the
Roman Fossway. Ralph Nevile, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. Mr. Foster
owns one farm, and the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln about 60 acres. There was anciently a church or
chapel here, and its site may still be traced. The poor have a share of Nevileís and Russellís charities,
as noticed with Aubourn and Hyckham.
Letters via Lincoln and Aubourn.

Brown William, farmer

Sewards Thomas, farmer

Clarke Charles, farmer (J. and C.); h Aubourn 

Steel Isaac, farm bailiff

Clarke John, farmer (J. and C.)

Taylor Richhard, wheelwright  

Clarke John and Charles, farmers 

Taylor Thomas, shoemaker

Dalton Joseph, butcher

Wallhead John, farm bailiff

Drury John, farmer, Housham

Wood William, farmer, Housham

Grubb John, farmer ; h Swinethorpe 

 

History, Gazateer, and Directory of Lincolnshire by William White, 1872

by permission of Rod Neep    ARCHIVE CD BOOKS     http://www.archivecdbooks.com 

back

 

 

 

Home 

North Hykeham

South Hykeham

Civil Records